The Honda 5500 is a robust generator, its celebrated because of its ability to run for hours and for its fuel-efficiency. However, the Honda 5000 is able to provide better specs, and it's known to be more reliable.
The Honda 5500 is an electric start petrol generator with a rated wattage of 5000 and a starting wattage of 5500. It's got a 6.6 Gallon fuel tank, which includes Eco-Throttle, with Switchable voltage. It's perfect for home back-up and leisure, with a running time of 7.1 hours.
However, the Honda 5000 Generator is an economy 389cc generator with a rated wattage of 4500 and a starting wattage of 5000. It's powerful engine, with 120/240V sectors, is able to run multiple high-intensity tools with higher wattage requirements, with a running time of 11 hours. It's perfect for home and business use, with a commercial-grade OHV engine that's easy to start, also.
In comparison to the Honda 5500 (also known as the Honda EM5500S), the Honda 5000 offers similar specs but provides a commercial-grade engine with longer running time.
Consider the Honda 5000 instead of the Honda 5500 if...
- You need a 5000 watt generator to balance home and outdoor use
- You want portability for camping trips (or if you own an RV)
- You prefer an open frame generator (as apposed to an inverter generator)
- You care about fuel savings and want eco-mode (which usually saves a ton on fuel per year)
Avoid Honda 5000 generator if...
- You need more power for whole-home use (and 5000 wattage is not powerful enough)
- You don't like pull-starts
- You value eco-mode & fuel savings (which the Honda 5000 doesn't have)
- You want a quite generator (less than 73Db)
Construction and design
- Running Wattage: 4500
- Peak Wattage: 5000
- Start: 5000
- Noise level: 73dB
- Weight: 173lbs
- Fuel Capacity: 6.3 gallons
- Run time: 11 hours
- Engine size: 389cc
- Warranty: 3 years
What can I power with Honda 5000 generator?
- Some indoor or outdoor lights
- Window AC unit
- Construction tools
- Cooking tools
- Heating equipment
- High-intensity work equipment
- RV appliances
Reasons to buy Honda 5000 generator instead of the Honda 5500?
- This 120/240V sector is able to power larger appliances with higher wattage requirements
- This commercial-grade OHV engine has the ability to consistently run for 11 hours
- The Advanced iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator) technology provides a way for power to be consistently distributed, no matter what your load is.
Reasons to avoid Honda 5000 generator?
- The engine runs at a loader volume than smaller generators + has a pronounced background sound
- A pull-start system + no way to push-start the generators
What real Honda 5000 generator reviews say
We spent 18 hours scouring the web (reading over 253 customer reviews). Our conclusion? The Honda 5000 Generator receives high praise! Our average consolidated user rating sits around a 4.6 - 4.74 (across several hundred reviews). The Honda 5000 Generator scored higher, on average, compared to their closest competitors.
What reviewers like
- 'This is a great generator. It powers almost my entire home.'
- 'It's a Honda. Fit, finish, overall build quality, nationwide access to Honda service centers, guarantee of parts availability now and into the future...durability...longevity...it's a Honda. You're good.'
- 'Honda specs say 73 dB at rated load. For this type of generator (open frame, alternator style, constant 3,600 RPM engine speed) that is pretty darn good. '
- 'It is surely an exception piece of equipment that I expect to last for a long, long time.'
- 'It also has a high power storage that lets it be used for a long period of time when the power goes out. It meets my expectations because I want it to last a long time when I am out of power wherever I am.'
What reviewers dislike
- 'Do not expect it to be whisper quiet such that you can talk in a normal voice while standing next to it and have everybody hear you. If you want that, you need an inverter style (which will be more expensive and/or lower output...pick your poison)'
- '234 pounds and NO WHEELS'
- 'Bought a Honda generator cause they are supposed to be the most quiet. When we started it up it sounded like a freight train.'
The Honda 5000 generator is the perfect addition to any construction, industrial, home or recreational environment and makes for the ideal alternative to the Honda 5500. It's fuel-efficient commercial-grade OHV engine with iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulator) technology is reliable and consistent. This portable generator is built for convenience and is versatile in its use, making it an excellent investment for both business and whole-home use.
The 73dB noise level makes it much more quiet than most industrial generators, meaning you're able to comfortably have it nearby. It's bound to impress you with it's ability to power multiple appliances and power tools. It has an easy-to-use pull-start system and a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Protection) design makes for safe storage and efficient transport.
Honda is known worldwide for providing supreme quality engines, and the Honda 5000 generator is one of the most powerful, durable examples of their ingenuity. With a warranty for up to 3 years, this high-power generator is able to run for 11 hours, making it ideal for use during the day or night.
The attractive design, high-quality features and additional protection measures makes this generator an investment that's sure to last you for many years.
Where to buy Honda 5000 generators
Find the Honda 5000 generator on Amazon, today. Even better? If you're an Amazon Prime member, you get fast, free 2-day shipping!